|Teach students about their therapy goals with this back to school craft.|
It's so helpful when students have a clear understanding of what they're working on in speech therapy. When someone asks my student "What do you do in speech?" I hope they can say "I work on___ ." That's so much better than the typical answer, "We play games."
Back to school is a great time to review speech therapy goals with your students.
Don't get me wrong, I love using motivational games, but students need to know why they're coming to see me each week! Knowing what they're working towards helps students get more focused, more invested and gives them a greater sense of accomplishment when they make progress.
Welcome your students back to school in style with this fun speech therapy backpack craft.
You'll need two colors of paper, I used construction paper for the backpack and a bright fluorescent paper to add some punch to the backpack straps.
Here are the steps to make your backpack. Pretty simple!
- Download the free templates for this activity in my store HERE
- Print the Welcome Back to Speech label on white paper
- Print the Name label in a fun color if you like, to match the straps.
- Cut out 2 straps per student of the brightly colored paper. I made mine about 1 1/2 inches wide and the length of the paper. (I've included a printable template page for the straps, or you can just cut your own.)
- Cut out a skinny strap about 6" long and 3/4 of an inch wide.
- Round the top two corners of your construction paper with your scissors.
OK, Now it's time to put your backpack together!
- Glue the Welcome Back and Name Labels as shown.
- Fill in your labels as you discuss each student's goals. Have them verbalize what they are working on, and write it if they are able.
- Glue one end of the long strap to the back of the backpack as shown. give it a twist (see the completed backpack below) and glue the end to the back of the backpack.
- Glue the top loop on, give this one a twist also.
Tip: If you are using white glue you may need to let the strap dry at the top before you twist it. (I used a glue stick and didn't need to wait.)
There are two versions of the Welcome Back to School Label
The download includes a choice of two labels: A "My Speech Goals" label and a "My Favorite Things about School" label. This makes the craft terrific for your teacher friends to enjoy too. If you have a friend who would enjoy this craft, please don't share the file, just send them to this post or my store to download the file for themselves. Thanks!
TIP: Be sure to pin this post to Pinterest so you can easily find it again next year when you are ready for a back to school activity!
|Download this Back to School activity in my store HERE.|
If you enjoy this craft, I'd love to hear from you. Please leave feedback in my store when you download. I read each and every comment, and appreciate it greatly.